Tuesday, April 14, 2009

It's a Dog Eat Dog World


I am an animal lover. I have been known to have all kinds of pets including dogs, cats, rabbits, snakes, fish, birds, turtles. I usually enjoy taking care of animals and the rewards you get from being around them. But lately, it seems I need all my energy to take care of my daughter and myself. I just don't have the time or energy to take care of anything else. I presently have two dogs and one cat. The cat just needs a bag of food thrown under the porch every week and he is happy. He comes around occasionally to purr, let me know he needs more food, and to let me know he is thankful. He is a beautiful solid white cat with big blue eyes.

We have a little chihuahua mix dog. She is black with a little white on her chest. She doesn't mind anything you tell her, she isn't potty trained and will stare at you and pee on the carpet. If she sees an open door or gate, she runs. She won't come when called and only responds to a jerky, milk bone, pig ear, or piece of meat in your hand. Then, and only then, will she do what you want.

Then we have the big boy. He is a Great Pyrenees mix. He is like a bull in a china shop and I most often find myself being the most precious porcelain figure on the shelf. He is the most lovable dog I know. He hasn't pottied in the house, but we don't let him in much. He is shedding his winter fur and looks horrid. He had mange when he was little, so has a pink scar on his nose and the tip of his tail has no hair. However, his tail is so furry that it doesn't usually show. He is happy all the time, yet he rarely jumps up on people. He comes when you call him and has been known to stand at the gate and look at you, but never go out of the gate. He has a distinctive low bark, yet only barks when he needs to. He loves all my customers and likes for them to stop and pet him. I love having him to protect our backyard.

Do you hear a big BUT coming???

There was a storm. We in Childress call it the Father's Day storm of 2008. Hail and strong winds tried to destroy everything. I was out of town, and I can only guess at what happened. Ever since then, my big, lovable, bull has done everything he can to be free. If he can get his head through, he will get his body through. Last summer he spent some time as a chicken delivery man for the husky down the block. The husky would come to the back of the fence, talk Cocoa into the terms, and then Cocoa would take off for the neighbors, chase a chicken, catch it and deliver it to the waiting husky. So Cocoa learned about life on a chain. He did pretty well, even through temperatures over 100 degrees. He finally managed to cut his chain. He did ok then in the yard for a couple of months. Then he started going under the fence. I have lined two sides of my fence with cinder blocks so he can't go through. He still found a way. This past week, he was finding a way and making it so that our little dog could get through also. She has always been a runner when she could find a way. The two of them began terrorizing the neighborhood. Finally, one of my neighbors had enough and told me she was going to sue me! I was stressed all day yesterday. I talked to her and we are on good terms again. I put Cocoa on craigs list, so keep praying that he will find a good home. I thought someone who had a cattle ranch would take him. Keep praying they will want this wonderful dog. Ciara is broken hearted (and I am too) that we must give him away, but at this time in my life, I just can't deal with the stress of a dog causing so much trouble. I think my little dog will behave if she is on her own. (Well, I mean at least stay in the yard.) If you know anyone in the country who wants a wonderful puppy, let me know. Our baby needs a new home.

1 comment:

Sue said...

arent' those dogs good with goats? i was thinking that was what Hudgins got to corral their goats. so...do you know anyone with goats??? talk to the Ag teacher, FFA or 4h leaders