Monday, August 3, 2009

There's A Reason

My step-mom is a true believer that things always happen for a reason. She always says that if something makes you be late, not to get mad, that there was a reason. Sometimes you will find the reason and other times you may never know why. Here are a few of her stories to illustrate that point.

Several years ago, she, dad, and the boys (my nephews) were going somewhere to deliver an ac to someone. Jerri said she thought they would never get out of the house and at the last minute, the boys had to go back and get something. That something had them pulling out one minute late. On down the road some one was driving in the wrong lane and hit the car in front of them. They pulled over to help. The car had a woman and her nephew. They had just met his mom and he was going to stay with his aunt for a while. The little boy was thrown from the car. She grabbed one of my nephews blankets they keep in the car and he laid on it on the asphalt on the side of the road. She laid down with him and was talking to him and getting glass out of his face. He kept asking about his aunt, but they could tell his aunt was dying. Dad was holding the aunt's head and shoulders while they were trying to get her out of the car. She kept talking to the boy until they finally got the ambulance. He asked her to ride in the ambulance with him and they let her. They also gave her the woman's purse since she was going to the hospital. The boy had some internal damage, but was ok. The aunt died. My step-mom met the grandmother at the hospital and gave her the purse. The grandmother was extremely grateful to my step-mom for staying with her grandson the whole.

This is my story. One time I was at Mannford at my Aunt Sue's. I had my cousin's kids and I was leaving to go to Vian and visit my friend. I would be going right through Tulsa. Well, I had been at my aunt's house a week and hadn't driven my car the whole time, and when it came time to leave, I couldn't find my keys. My other cousin had come to keep her sister's kids when I left, but I couldn't leave! I unpacked everything and looked. We searched my aunts house. Finally I decided I must have locked them in the car, so we called a locksmith and I paid the man big bucks to unlock my car. They weren't there. I could get another key from a dealer, but by then they were closing so it would be the next day. So I unpacked everything again, and found the keys. They were in my tennis shoe which was packed in a suitcase. I was finally able to leave a couple hours later. Mannford is about thirty minutes from Tulsa. Right at the edge of Tulsa had been a huge wreck and traffic was still backed up two hours later when I got there. You just never know!

Last week, my dad was pulling a house to Louisiana. All of the sudden he had four tires blow out. FOUR! He had to pull off and start changing those tires. A few minutes later a fire truck came up with the lights on and everything. They said someone had called and said a trailer was on fire and catching everything on fire as it passed. They thought it was dad. Dad told them it wasn't him and there was no fire around him, they better keep going. They left and a few minutes the paramedics came by with the same story. Dad's company sent some reinforcements and they got all the tires changed and he got back on the road to discover that a few miles down the road a pickup had lost the drive shaft (or something) and when it fell out, it acted like a pogo stick and started flipping the pickup. It flipped 5 times. Dad knew that had he come up on it pulling that trailer, there would have been no way he could have stopped in time.

Today Dad pulled up on a 3 car accident and one car was on fire. There were 2 people in it and he got fire extinguishers and tried to put the fire out and got a chain from his truck and tried to open the door to get them out, but he couldn't. One person in the other car was dead from the impact. He was so upset and went home for a little while. He had just watched 3 people die. My step-mom said he was shaking. She was freaking out, because we had just been talking about all this!!!

Yesterday, I was supposed to be at my Aunt's house by 4 to leave for Hereford to take Cocoa Bear to his new home. For whatever reason, I was late. We didn't get there until 5. Everything worked out fine, but you never know. I agree with my step-mom that things happen for a reason. I will try not to be mad next time I am late!

2 comments:

Beverly Mcdonough said...

Wow, it sounds like your dad and Jerri are becoming roadway heroes. Bless them for being good Samaritans and thank goodness you avoided being in the middle of some horrible accident. When we were moving to Eureka, there was an accident on the highway outside McAlister. One truck ran through another truck. We had to sit on the highway for at least two hours while they cleared everything out.

Unknown said...

These stories remind me of how thankful I am every time I am on an entrance ramp for a highway. I believe the Lord works it out for there to always be an opening in the cars to my left as I am trying to get on. I can think of only one time that there wasn't a big gap in the traffic for me. God knows that is something that freaks me out.